Thursday, 28 April 2016

Evaluating our e-projects

Hello everybody!

Here I am again to tell you all about our new ICT challenge. This time, we had to create a rubric to evaluate the final outcome of our groups' e-projects. 

As teachers, we all know that evaluating is one of the most difficult tasks that we have to carry out and, for that reason, I thought this challenge was going to be quite complicated to accomplish. Plus, we are still no experts in evaluating and I wanted to be as fair as I could with the work that my classmates and myself had done. 

However, once I started making my rubric I found out that it was not that difficult at all! You see, throughout these three months that we have been learning about ICTs in the bilingual clasroom, our teacher has provided us with a lot of rubrics in which we could see the criteria that she was going to use to evaluate us. So, once I started doing my own, I suddenly realised that the ideas of what to evaluate were easily coming to my mind.  

But wait, do you know what a rubric is? It is a way of assessing and giving students feedback on their work and in which they can clearly see the criteria that you are going to be using and how each aspect is going to be evaluated. 

To make my rubric, I used QuickRubric.
I don't know if you have any experience with this tool but if you don't I totally recommend that you give it a try. It is very complete and easy to handle, since once you are logged in, it inmediately presents you with a clear template which you just have to fill in according to the evaluation criteria that you are going to be using. All you have to do, is to customize this template by adjusting the number of columns and rows, as well as the score rating for each column, so that it meets your needs. 

I know it may sound a bit confusing, but don't worry because I am now going to tell you, setp by step, how to use and make the most of this wonderful tool. 

1. 
First of all, you need to create an account. To that end, you just need to click on "log in" at the upper-right corner of the webpage, and then on "I'm a new user". Unless you already have an account, in which case you will have to click on "I have an account"


2.
Once you are logged in, click on "create my rubric". Afer doing so, this tool will inmediately present you with a rubric template for you to fill in. 

3. Now, it is time for you to customize this template according to the evaluation criteria that you are going to be using. For that you will see how, at the bottom of the page, you are given the options to add columns and rows. You are also given the chance to delete rows. All you have to do is to click on the red cross that you can see in each row.

4. Adjust the score rating at the upper-right corner of your rubric as you deem necessary. Choose the highest score that your students are going to be able to get from their work, as well as the lowest, and this tool will automatically calculate the corresponding score for each column. This way, your students will be able to relate each feature of the final outcome of their work with the corresponding punctuation.   

5. Fill in the template with the details of the way in which you are going to be assessing your students work and once you finish, click on "save rubric", at the bottom of the page. 


Pretty easy, right? However, here is where we can see QuickRubric's weak point. Once you have saved your work you are just given the option to download your rubric or to share it online by copying the web link with which it provides you. It doesn't give you the option to get an embedded code. 

However, my classmate Laura gave us the perfect solution for this. By downloading our rubric and then uploading it to Drive we could finally get the embedded code to share our work with others. I took her advice and here you can see the final result of my rubric. 


Also, here you are the link to my rubric in case you prefer to have a look at it online: https://www.quickrubric.com/r#/qr/elenaortiz/evaluating-an-e-project 
I hope you like it and find it useful. Feel free to use it if you believe it is going to be of help for you and don't forget to leave me a comment! I'll be pleased to hear your opinions. 

Thank you for reading,



No comments:

Post a Comment